Posted Date: August 10, 2016
Job Type: Senior Scientist
Job Location: Progenitor Life Sciences, Salt Lake City, UT
Progenitor Life Sciences, an innovator in development of tools for cell-based immunotherapies, such as CAR-T cells and natural killer (NK) cells, is seeking a Senior Scientist to be part of our research team.
Scope of Need:
The successful individual will directly interact with senior R&D leadership, project management and external collaborators to manage and develop cell-based products, molecular biology tools, and assays for the large and rapidly expanding immunotherapy fields. The scientist will then be responsible for executing these plans to meet agreed upon deliverables and timelines. These activities will require a certain level of independence but may also be in support of senior scientists on the team or supported by junior scientists. This role will involve the following tasks:
- Molecular biology
- Cell biology
- Plasmid design, construction, subcloning
- Western blotting
- Flow Cytometry
- Analysis and interpretation of next generation Gen-Seq, RNA-Seq, and CHIP-Seq data
- Tissue culture (culture of many cell types)
- Stable cell line generation (transfection, selection, single-cell cloning)
- Assay development (high-throughput and high-content)
- Stem cell culture (feeding, passaging and cryopreservation)
- Weekend work (some cell cultures require daily attention)
Because stem cell culture requires the daily feeding and observation of cells, weekend work will occasionally be required depending on the nature of active projects. It is expected that all individuals on this team will participate in the level of support required. This individual will also be expected to support and participate in senior level meetings, business reviews, etc.
Capabilities and Competencies
This position requires the following capabilities and competencies:
- Perform standard laboratory math calculations and solutions/media preparation
- Design and communicate laboratory protocols with well-conceived control negative and positive controls, and incorporate feedback on protocols.
- Maintain and expand growing library of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Contribute to development of White Papers, peer-reviewed publications, and grant proposals such as SBIR.
- Proven experience manipulating DNA plasmid constructs – competency with Gateway cloning desirable.
- Proven experience with various forms of PCR – genomic, RT-PCR, qPCR
- Proven experience with protein analysis (e.g. Western blots; Flow cytometry and surface marker analysis)
- Proven sterile tissue culture technique
- Proven experience with assay development (particularly fluorescence based assays)
- Proven experience and expertise with stem cell culture in the absence of antibiotics
- Ability to observe identify and analyze deviations from the expected outcomes
- Ability to succeed with a moderate level of supervision and guidance
- Strong teamwork orientation with demonstrable interpersonal skills
- PhD and completion of postdoctoral fellowship(s) and/or independent work in a related discipline with relevant lab experience; preferred: cellular immunology and/or IPSC and stem cell technology experience; experience with NK cells, T cells, antigen receptors or CARs is a major plus.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Capacity to work independently or as part of a team as needed
The vast majority of working time will be spent in a laboratory environment. Culture studies will take place in biosafety hoods in a tissue culture laboratory, working with various cell cultures. Cells will typically be characterized by molecular biology techniques or functional assays. Time may be spent manipulating plasmid DNA constructs and analyzing cells at benchtop in a laboratory environment. Some time will be spent at the desk recording laboratory activities appropriately in notebooks.
Must be capable of observing and adhering to lab safety standards and protocols. Occasional weekend work will be required to maintain cell cultures properly.
Critical to success in this position will be the individual’s ability to independently work on some projects and to provide support for others. This individual must be able to independently identify deviations from expected outcomes and participate in trouble-shooting those deviations and suggesting alternatives. Equally important will be the ability to work as part of team in the laboratory (extended R&D team) as well as a broader cross-functional team (R&D, Project Management, Collaborator).
Position Status and Salary:
This is a full-time position. Salary will be commensurate with education, relevant work experience, and other qualifications.
Interested parties should submit resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org